Defending Gambling Cases
Bookmaking and Internet Gambling Are Crimes
IT IS STILL AGAINST THE LAW TO CONDUCT BOOKMAKING, TO GAMBLE ON THE INTERNET, OR GAMBLE OUTSIDE OF CASINOS OR RACETRACKS IN CALIFORNIA
Millions of people gamble with bookmakers, gamble on the internet, or gamble for money, outside of casinos. Few realize that this is illegal, and can land them in trouble with the law and result in their money being seized by the government.
The police still make arrests for illegal gambling. Bookmakers are still charged with violating the law. Agents for bookmakers still get arrested and face jail time, fines and forfeiture of their money. "Private" poker games still get busted, and the federal government has made it against the law to gamble on the internet, even with "off-shore" internet casinos.
If you find yourself charged with a gambling crime, you need an expert in the area, like Kenneth H. Lewis. With 30+ years of expertise in this area, he provides the best possible representation. His knowledge of the gambling laws, the court system and how bookmakers and internet casinos operate makes him unmatched in providing quality legal representation.
- Bookmaking is a violation of California Penal Code Section 337a (1)-(6). Basically it is the act of accepting wagers on a sporting event. Additionally, the statute covers activities performed in connection with bookmaking, such as owning or renting a location where bookmaking is conducted, occupying a location to conduct bookmaking, taking or writing down wagers, or laying off bets or wagers. It can be either a misdemeanor or felony conviction, carries the possibility of a state prison sentence, and a fine of up to $5,000.00. It is a "priorable offense" which means there are increased penalties for later convictions.
Bookmaking can also be a federal violation under
18 United States Code Section 1955 if it meets certain requirements such as affecting interstate commerce, having five or more persons involved, being in operation for more than 30 continuous days, or grossing more than $2,000.00 in a single day
- Bookmaking Agents are persons who collect bets from customers, and pay back winnings. This is also against the law, even if the bookmaking operation itself is an internet, offshore gambling operation. Agents who are arrested face the full range of punishments set forth above.
- Internet gambling is not legal, despite the fact that millions of persons gamble with "off shore, virtual casinos". Attempts to legalize this form of gambling have failed in the Congress. Admittedly, the federal government has been too preoccupied with other issues to invest much time in prosecuting internet gambling, but a number of cases have been successfully prosecuted, and no one should assume that it is legal.
- Credit card restrictions have been enacted by Congress limiting the ability of credit card companies to transact business with off shore, internet casinos.
- Forfeitures of money and property are possible if an investigation of a person finds money that is "sourced" from illegal internet gambling.
What Should I Do If I'm Investigated Or Arrested For A Gambling Crime?
- Say nothing. Remember, the police are not your friends – they are out to convict you
- Ask that an attorney qualified to handle gambling cases, like Kenneth H. Lewis be present for any questioning
- If arrested and bail is set, Kenneth H. Lewis can help you try to arrange for a bail bond through a qualified bail bondsmen.
- As soon as you are released, arrange for a meeting with an attorney knowledgeable in gambling cases
- Do not speak with the police if they contact you after you have been released; have them talk directly to your attorney
- If you have had property and/or money seized, immediately contact an attorney that is knowledgeable with "forfeitures", like Kenneth H. Lewis
Why Should I Retain Kenneth H. Lewis If I Am Arrested For Bookingmaking Or Another Gambling Case?
Because Kenneth H. Lewis has been handling bookmaking, internet gambling and other gambling cases for over thirty years. He has handled hundreds of these cases and knows the law, the courts, and the prosecuting agencies. He knows the defenses, he knows the police agencies, and he knows how to successfully defend these cases to obtain the very best results for his clients. No one is more qualified to handle a gambling case.
He is one of the relatively few lawyers to have actually argued a case before the California Supreme Court, People v. Leon. He is not only admitted before all the courts in California, but also the United States District Court for the Central District of California, the United States 9th Circuit Court of Appeal, and the United States Supreme Court, where he appeared at counsel's table in the case of California vs. Rooney.
He offers no cost consultations, and may even be able to see you while in custody. He will explain the legal process and law in detail, and will work with you to obtain the very best results possible. He promises to promptly return all phone calls and will leave no stone unturned in assuring that you receive the very defense.
Call Kenneth H. Lewis now to schedule a FREE CONSULTATION